A gate valve can be defined as a type of valve that used a gate or wedge type disk and the disk moves perpendicular to flow to start or stop the fluid flow in piping.
A gate valve is the most common type of valve that used in any process plant. It is a linear motion valve used to start or stop fluid flow. In service, these valves are either in fully open or fully closed position. When the gate valve is fully open, the disk of a gate valve is completely removed from the flow. Therefore virtually no resistance to flow. Due to this very little pressure drops when fluid passes through a gate valve.
Advantages Of Gate Valves :-
- Good shutoff features
- Gate valves are bidirectional and therefore they can be used in two directions
- Pressure loss through the valve is minimal
Disadvantages Of Gate Valves :-
- They can not be quickly opened or closed
- Gate valves are not suitable for regulate or throttle flow
- They are sensitive to vibration in the open state